Aaron Gertler donations made (filtered to cause areas matching Global health)

This is an online portal with information on donations that were announced publicly (or have been shared with permission) that were of interest to Vipul Naik. The git repository with the code for this portal, as well as all the underlying data, is available on GitHub. All payment amounts are in current United States dollars (USD). The repository of donations is being seeded with an initial collation by Issa Rice as well as continued contributions from him (see his commits and the contract work page listing all financially compensated contributions to the site) but all responsibility for errors and inaccuracies belongs to Vipul Naik. Current data is preliminary and has not been completely vetted and normalized; if sharing a link to this site or any page on this site, please include the caveat that the data is preliminary (if you want to share without including caveats, please check with Vipul Naik). We expect to have completed the first round of development by the end of March 2022. See the about page for more details. Also of interest: pageview data on analytics.vipulnaik.com, tutorial in README, request for feedback to EA Forum.

Table of contents

Basic donor information

ItemValue
Country United States
Best overview URLhttps://aarongertler.net/donations/
Facebook username aaron.gertler
LinkedIn username aarongertler
Websitehttps://aarongertler.net/
Donations URLhttps://aarongertler.net/donations/
Twitter usernameaarongertler
LessWrong usernameaarongertler
Effective Altruism Forum usernameaarongertler
Effective Altruism Hub usernameaaron-gertler
GitHub usernameaarongertler
Regularity with which donor updates donations datacontinuous updates
Regularity with which Donations List Website updates donations data (after donor update)continuous updates
Lag with which donor updates donations datadays
Lag with which Donations List Website updates donations data (after donor update)months
Data entry method on Donations List WebsiteManual (no scripts used)

Brief history: Aaron Gertler aims to donate 10% of his pre-tax income, at a roughly annual cadence, consistent with the Giving What We Can pledge, which he took in 2014. His shared reasons for giving, as noted at https://aarongertler.net/donations/ include: "I give because I want to share the results of my luck with the less fortunate." and "I already have a good, satisfying life, so I don’t need to buy more happiness. Instead, I can use money to help a lot of other people live happier lives."

Brief notes on broad donor philosophy and major focus areas: Aaron Gertler is interested primarily in charities that, loosely speaking, "help humans now". This is consistent with his alignment with Giving What We Can. Thus, he gives primarily to charities working in the global health and development space, and mostly to those recommended by GiveWell. He also donates directly to GiveWell and to the Centre for Effective Altruism (which manages the Giving What We Can pledge)

Miscellaneous notes: Aaron Gertler comments quite a bit on the Effective Altruism Forum, so it is instructive to read his comments at https://forum.effectivealtruism.org/users/aarongertler and get more of an idea of his perspective on different things

Donor donation statistics

Cause areaCountMedianMeanMinimum10th percentile 20th percentile 30th percentile 40th percentile 50th percentile 60th percentile 70th percentile 80th percentile 90th percentile Maximum
Overall 8 500 584 20 20 150 500 500 500 500 600 1,000 1,400 1,400
Global health 8 500 584 20 20 150 500 500 500 500 600 1,000 1,400 1,400

Donation amounts by cause area and year

If you hover over a cell for a given cause area and year, you will get a tooltip with the number of donees and the number of donations.

Note: Cause area classification used here may not match that used by donor for all cases.

Cause area Number of donations Number of donees Total 2018 2017 2016 2015
Global health (filter this donor) 8 3 4,670.00 500.00 1,150.00 3,000.00 20.00
Total 8 3 4,670.00 500.00 1,150.00 3,000.00 20.00

Graph of spending by cause area and year (incremental, not cumulative)

Graph of spending should have loaded here

Graph of spending by cause area and year (cumulative)

Graph of spending should have loaded here

Donation amounts by subcause area and year

If you hover over a cell for a given subcause area and year, you will get a tooltip with the number of donees and the number of donations.

For the meaning of “classified” and “unclassified”, see the page clarifying this.

Subcause area Number of donations Number of donees Total 2018 2017 2016 2015
Global health/malaria 7 2 4,170.00 0.00 1,150.00 3,000.00 20.00
Global health/nutrition/iodine 1 1 500.00 500.00 0.00 0.00 0.00
Classified total 8 3 4,670.00 500.00 1,150.00 3,000.00 20.00
Unclassified total 0 0 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00
Total 8 3 4,670.00 500.00 1,150.00 3,000.00 20.00

Graph of spending by subcause area and year (incremental, not cumulative)

Graph of spending should have loaded here

Graph of spending by subcause area and year (cumulative)

Graph of spending should have loaded here

Donation amounts by donee and year

Donee Cause area Metadata Total 2018 2017 2016 2015
Against Malaria Foundation (filter this donor) Global health/malaria FB Tw WP Site GW CN GS TW 3,170.00 0.00 150.00 3,000.00 20.00
Centre for Effective Altruism (filter this donor) Effective altruism/movement growth FB Site 1,000.00 0.00 1,000.00 0.00 0.00
Iodine Global Network (filter this donor) 500.00 500.00 0.00 0.00 0.00
Total -- -- 4,670.00 500.00 1,150.00 3,000.00 20.00

Graph of spending by donee and year (incremental, not cumulative)

Graph of spending should have loaded here

Graph of spending by donee and year (cumulative)

Graph of spending should have loaded here

Donation amounts by influencer and year

Sorry, we couldn't find any influencer information.

Donation amounts by disclosures and year

Sorry, we couldn't find any disclosures information.

Donation amounts by country and year

Sorry, we couldn't find any country information.

Full list of donations in reverse chronological order (8 donations)

Graph of top 10 donees by amount, showing the timeframe of donations

Graph of donations and their timeframes
DoneeAmount (current USD)Amount rank (out of 8)Donation dateCause areaURLInfluencerNotes
Iodine Global Network500.0042018-11-27Global health/nutrition/iodinehttps://aarongertler.net/donations-all-years/-- Timed to coincide with matching funds from Facebook's Giving Tuesday event. The match was successful, so Facebook matched the full $500. Percentage of total donor spend in the corresponding batch of donations: 100.00%.
Centre for Effective Altruism1,000.0022017-11-28Global health/malariahttps://aarongertler.net/donations-all-years/-- 60% of donations made by Facebook on Giving Tuesday to qualify for matching by Facebook and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. Percentage of total donor spend in the corresponding batch of donations: 100.00%.
Against Malaria Foundation150.0072017-04-14Global health/malariahttps://aarongertler.net/donations-all-years/--
Against Malaria Foundation500.0042016-07-12Global health/malariahttps://aarongertler.net/donations-all-years/-- In support of a friend’s campaign.
Against Malaria Foundation600.0032016-06-26Global health/malariahttps://aarongertler.net/donations-all-years/-- 60% of the donations that day; the other 40% went to .impact. Percentage of total donor spend in the corresponding batch of donations: 100.00%.
Against Malaria Foundation1,400.0012016-04-17Global health/malariahttps://aarongertler.net/donations-all-years/-- 70% of the donations that day; the other 30% went to GiveDirectly. Percentage of total donor spend in the corresponding batch of donations: 100.00%.
Against Malaria Foundation500.0042016-01-15Global health/malariahttps://aarongertler.net/donations-all-years/-- Matched a fundraiser from EA Adelaide. 40% of donations made that day. Percentage of total donor spend in the corresponding batch of donations: 100.00%.
Against Malaria Foundation20.0082015-05-04Global health/malariahttps://aarongertler.net/donations-all-years/-- Gift for a friend birthday.

Similarity to other donors

The following table uses the Jaccard index and cosine similarity to compare the similarity of donors. We are showing the top 30 donors by the Jaccard index because we show up to 30 donors and show only donors with at least one donee in common.

Donor Number of distinct donees Number of donees in common (intersection) Union size Jaccard similarity Cosine similarity Weighted cosine similarity
adam baker 1 1 2 0.5000 0.7071 0.9493
Ajeya Cotra 1 1 2 0.5000 0.7071
Akhil Jalan 1 1 2 0.5000 0.7071 0.9493
Alexandra Rastad 1 1 2 0.5000 0.7071 0.9493
Amelia Allis 1 1 2 0.5000 0.7071 0.9493
Anders Kuvaas Herting 1 1 2 0.5000 0.7071 0.9493
Andrew Simpson 1 1 2 0.5000 0.7071 0.9493
Arvind Raghavan 1 1 2 0.5000 0.7071 0.9493
Aubry Dugan 1 1 2 0.5000 0.7071 0.9493
Ben Medlock 1 1 2 0.5000 0.7071 0.9493
ben rhodes 1 1 2 0.5000 0.7071 0.9493
Benjamin Robinson 1 1 2 0.5000 0.7071 0.9493
Bradley Tjandra 1 1 2 0.5000 0.7071 0.9493
Brenton Mayer 1 1 2 0.5000 0.7071 0.9493
Calum McClelland 1 1 2 0.5000 0.7071 0.9493
Christopher Bryant 1 1 2 0.5000 0.7071 0.9493
Christopher O'Bleness 1 1 2 0.5000 0.7071 0.9493
Cole Gleason 1 1 2 0.5000 0.7071 0.9493
Dan Munro 1 1 2 0.5000 0.7071 0.9493
Denis Drescher 1 1 2 0.5000 0.7071 0.9493
Edward Martin 1 1 2 0.5000 0.7071 0.9493
Effective Altruism Funds 1 1 2 0.5000 0.7071 0.9493
Eli Nathan 1 1 2 0.5000 0.7071 0.9493
Elizabeth Santorella 1 1 2 0.5000 0.7071 0.9493
Gwern Branwen 1 1 2 0.5000 0.7071
Harley Monk 1 1 2 0.5000 0.7071 0.9493
Harri Besceli 1 1 2 0.5000 0.7071 0.9493
Harry Greenwell 1 1 2 0.5000 0.7071 0.9493
Haseeb Qureshi 1 1 2 0.5000 0.7071 0.9493
Holden Karnofsky 1 1 2 0.5000 0.7071