This is an online portal with information on donations that were announced publicly (or have been shared with permission) that were of interest to Vipul Naik. The git repository with the code for this portal, as well as all the underlying data, is available on GitHub. All payment amounts are in current United States dollars (USD). The repository of donations is being seeded with an initial collation by Issa Rice as well as continued contributions from him (see his commits and the contract work page listing all financially compensated contributions to the site) but all responsibility for errors and inaccuracies belongs to Vipul Naik. Current data is preliminary and has not been completely vetted and normalized; if sharing a link to this site or any page on this site, please include the caveat that the data is preliminary (if you want to share without including caveats, please check with Vipul Naik). We expect to have completed the first round of development by the end of December 2019. See the about page for more details. Also of interest: pageview data on analytics.vipulnaik.com, tutorial in README, request for feedback to EA Forum.
|Best overview URL||https://aarongertler.net/donations/|
|Effective Altruism Forum username||aarongertler|
|Effective Altruism Hub username||aaron-gertler|
|Regularity with which donor updates donations data||continuous updates|
|Regularity with which Donations List Website updates donations data (after donor update)||continuous updates|
|Lag with which donor updates donations data||days|
|Lag with which Donations List Website updates donations data (after donor update)||months|
|Data entry method on Donations List Website||Manual (no scripts used)|
Brief history: Aaron Gertler aims to donate 10% of his pre-tax income, at a roughly annual cadence, consistent with the Giving What We Can pledge, which he took in 2014. His shared reasons for giving, as noted at https://aarongertler.net/donations/ include: "I give because I want to share the results of my luck with the less fortunate." and "I already have a good, satisfying life, so I don’t need to buy more happiness. Instead, I can use money to help a lot of other people live happier lives."
Brief notes on broad donor philosophy and major focus areas: Aaron Gertler is interested primarily in charities that, loosely speaking, "help humans now". This is consistent with his alignment with Giving What We Can. Thus, he gives primarily to charities working in the global health and development space, and mostly to those recommended by GiveWell. He also donates directly to GiveWell and to the Centre for Effective Altruism (which manages the Giving What We Can pledge)
Miscellaneous notes: Aaron Gertler comments quite a bit on the Effective Altruism Forum, so it is instructive to read his comments at https://forum.effectivealtruism.org/users/aarongertler and get more of an idea of his perspective on different things
Full donor page for donor Aaron Gertler
|Donation case page||http://dotimpact.causevox.com/|
|Key people||Peter Hurford|Tom Ash|
Full donee page for donee Rethink Charity
|Cause area||Count||Median||Mean||Minimum||10th percentile||20th percentile||30th percentile||40th percentile||50th percentile||60th percentile||70th percentile||80th percentile||90th percentile||Maximum|
If you hover over a cell for a given cause area and year, you will get a tooltip with the number of donees and the number of donations.
Note: Cause area classification used here may not match that used by donor for all cases.
|Cause area||Number of donations||Total||2016|
|(filter this donor)||2||900.00||900.00|
Skipping spending graph as there is fewer than one year’s worth of donations.
|Amount (current USD)||Amount rank (out of 2)||Donation date||Cause area||URL||Influencer||Notes|
|400.00||2||--||https://aarongertler.net/donations-all-years/||--||The donation was to .impact, which is now Rethink Charity. 40% of the donations that day; the other 60% went to Against Malaria Foundation. Percentage of total donor spend in the corresponding batch of donations: 100.00%.|
|500.00||1||--||https://aarongertler.net/donations-all-years/||--||The donation was to .impact, which is now Rethink Charity. 40% of donations made that day. Percentage of total donor spend in the corresponding batch of donations: 100.00%.|