This is an online portal with information on donations that were announced publicly (or have been shared with permission) that were of interest to Vipul Naik. The git repository with the code for this portal, as well as all the underlying data, is available on GitHub. All payment amounts are in current United States dollars (USD). The repository of donations is being seeded with an initial collation by Issa Rice as well as continued contributions from him (see his commits and the contract work page listing all financially compensated contributions to the site) but all responsibility for errors and inaccuracies belongs to Vipul Naik. Current data is preliminary and has not been completely vetted and normalized; if sharing a link to this site or any page on this site, please include the caveat that the data is preliminary (if you want to share without including caveats, please check with Vipul Naik). We expect to have completed the first round of development by the end of March 2023. See the about page for more details. Also of interest: pageview data on analytics.vipulnaik.com, tutorial in README, request for feedback to EA Forum.
|Affiliated organizations (current or former; restricted to potential donees or others relevant to donation decisions)||Centre for Effective Altruism|
|Best overview URL||http://effective-altruism.com/ea/1fc/effective_altruism_grants_project_update/|
|Regularity with which donor updates donations data||irregular|
|Regularity with which Donations List Website updates donations data (after donor update)||irregular|
|Lag with which donor updates donations data||months|
|Lag with which Donations List Website updates donations data (after donor update)||days|
|Data entry method on Donations List Website||SQL insertion commands generated by script https://github.com/riceissa/ea-grants-processing|
Brief history: Effective Altruism Grants (EA Grants for short) are a successor to Effective Altruism Ventures (see http://effective-altruism.com/ea/1b5/announcing_effective_altruism_grants/ for the announcement post). The first batch of EA Grants was publicly announced at the end of September 2017, totaling about £369,924 (with the remainder up to a total of £500,000 reserved for additional grants to recipients). In https://www.centreforeffectivealtruism.org/blog/cea-s-2017-review-and-2018-plans/ it was announced that EA Grants was moving to a rolling basis for urgent grants and a quarterly frequency of review for less urgent grants
Brief notes on broad donor philosophy and major focus areas: Focus is on filling funding gaps in grants for individuals pursuing early-stage but high-value projects
Notes on grant decision logistics: For 2017, applications had to be made before a deadline. Of the 722 applications received, 413 (57%) were rejected. The second round involved taking the remaining applications and assessing applicants based on their track record, values, and plans. This assessment adhered to a rubric, weighting each category in accordance with its predictive power for project success. 63 candidates passed this round and had three 10-minute interviews, and 22 of them were selected. However, EA Grants is moving in 2018 to a rolling basis for urgent grants and a quarterly basis for other grants, according to https://www.centreforeffectivealtruism.org/blog/cea-s-2017-review-and-2018-plans/
Notes on grant publication logistics: For 2017, all grants were published in a spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iBy--zMyIiTgybYRUQZIm11WKGQZcixaCmIaysRmGvk but the long-term plan for sharing grants data is not clear
Notes on grant financing: The £500,000 budget for the first year of Effective Altruism Grants was part of the Centre for Effective Altruism budget, and the costs are covered by the Open Philanthropy grant https://www.openphilanthropy.org/giving/grants/centre-effective-altruism-general-support and a couple of other private donors, as described at http://effective-altruism.com/ea/1fc/effective_altruism_grants_project_update/
Full donor page for donor Effective Altruism Grants
We do not have any donee information for the donee Alliance to Feed the Earth in Disasters in our system.
Full donee page for donee Alliance to Feed the Earth in Disasters
|Cause area||Count||Median||Mean||Minimum||10th percentile||20th percentile||30th percentile||40th percentile||50th percentile||60th percentile||70th percentile||80th percentile||90th percentile||Maximum|
|Global catastrophic risks||1||28,082||28,082||28,082||28,082||28,082||28,082||28,082||28,082||28,082||28,082||28,082||28,082||28,082|
If you hover over a cell for a given cause area and year, you will get a tooltip with the number of donees and the number of donations.
Note: Cause area classification used here may not match that used by donor for all cases.
|Cause area||Number of donations||Total||2017|
|Global catastrophic risks (filter this donor)||1||28,082.21||28,082.21|
Skipping spending graph as there is fewer than one year’s worth of donations.
|Title (URL linked)||Publication date||Author||Publisher||Affected donors||Affected donees||Affected influencers||Document scope||Cause area||Notes|
|ALLFED 2019 Annual Report and Fundraising Appeal (GW, IR)||2019-11-23||Aron Mill||Alliance to Feed the Earth in Disasters||Berkeley Existential Risk Initiative Donor lottery Effective Altruism Grants Open Philanthropy||Alliance to Feed the Earth in Disasters Future of Humanity Institute||Donee donation case||Alternative foods||Aron Mill provides a summary of the work of the Alliance to Feed the Earth in Disasters (ALLFED) in 2019. He lists key supporters as well as partners that ALLFED worked with during the year. The blog post proceeds to make an appeal and a case for fundraising ALLFED. Sections of the blog post include: (1) research output, (2) preparedness and alliance-building, (3) ALLFED team, (4) current projects, and (5) projects in need of funding.|
Graph of all donations, showing the timeframe of donations
|Amount (current USD)||Amount rank (out of 1)||Donation date||Cause area||URL||Influencer||Notes|
|28,082.21||1||Global catastrophic risks||https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iBy--zMyIiTgybYRUQZIm11WKGQZcixaCmIaysRmGvk||--||Writing two papers on alternative foods that could be scaled up in time to feed everyone in the case of a global catastrophe. This research is predicated on there being an ~80% chance this century of a 10% global food shortfall, and a ~10% chance of agricultural collapse. See http://effective-altruism.com/ea/1fc/effective_altruism_grants_project_update/ for more context about the grant program. Currency info: donation given as 20,960.00 GBP (conversion done on 2017-09-29 via Bloomberg).|